We may earn money when you click on our links.

One of the keys to success in the short term rental (STR) market is understanding the comprehensive STR or vacation rental regulations of the city or town where you plan to invest. Zoning restrictions, registration, permit or licensing requirements, and taxes vary widely. Search to see how your city or town may be affected.

STR Regulations

South Lake Tahoe, CA has short term rental or vacation rental regulations in place that oversee two different types. The first is the Qualified Vacation Home Rental (QVHR). The second type is the Vacation Home Rental (VHR). Read more below.      

Zoning Restrictions

Short term rentals are not permitted in residential zones unless you are a resident of South Lake Tahoe. Click the link below to visit the zoning page.

Permit or License

Yes, you must register your short term rental or vacation rental. The Qualified Vacation Home Rental (QVHR) permit allows for properties in residential zones, whose owner is a permanent resident of the City of South Lake Tahoe, to rent the entire dwelling for up to 30 days. Whereas, the Vacation Home Rental (VHR) permit is given to qualifying properties in non-residential areas. The STR license is non-transferable. New owners must re-apply.

Short Term rental / Airbnb Regulations

For the most up-to-date information on short term rental regulations please click the links below to access the city website(s) and email address. Please notify us if there are any errors in the data.

View current vacation rental homes for sale or visit our resources section for help with products and services you need to run your vacation rental business.

Copyright © 2021 HIGHFLYRE