We may earn money when you click on our links.

One of the keys to success in the short term rental (STR) market is understanding the comprehensive STR or vacation rental regulations of the city or town where you plan to invest. Zoning restrictions, registration, permit or licensing requirements, and taxes vary widely. Search to see how your city or town may be affected.

STR Regulations

Garrett County Maryland, covering Deep Creek Lake, MD and the Deep Creek Watershed, has a comprehensive set of regulations for vacation rentals, called Transient Vacation Rentals Units (TRSUs), by an Ordinance passed in 2006. The County requires a zoning permit and registration for all short term rentals. For information and the links to the applications click the link below.

Zoning Restrictions

Garrett County requires that you complete a Zoning Permit application for a $50 fee. Once your property is approved by the Zoning board you then can apply for a Transient Vacation Rentals Units (TRSUs) permit.

Permit or License

Submit a payment of $50 for the TRVU registration fee to register your vacation rental. Pay a biannual licensing fee of $200. Pay $150 for the Garrett County Heath Department fee. See FAQ page below for details on requirements for pools, hot tubs, etc. Licenses can transfer to a new owner for a re-registration fee of $25

Short Term rental / Airbnb Regulations

For the most up-to-date information on short term rental regulations please click the links below to access the city website(s) and email address. Please notify us if there are any errors in the data.

View current vacation rental homes for sale or visit our resources section for help with products and services you need to run your vacation rental business.

Copyright © 2021 HIGHFLYRE