We may earn money when you click on our links.

One of the keys to success in the short term rental (STR) market is understanding the comprehensive STR or vacation rental regulations of the city or town where you plan to invest. Zoning restrictions, registration, permit or licensing requirements, and taxes vary widely. Search to see how your city or town may be affected.

STR Regulations

Chicago, IL has vacation rental regulation requiring owners to obtain a "Regulated Business License". The City also stipulates that in buildings with 4 units or less, the vacation rental unit must be the licensee's primary resident where the applicant lives on a daily basis at least 245 days in per calendar year. See below for further details.

Zoning Restrictions

The City of Chicago allows vacation rentals in these zoning districts: DC, DX, DR, RS1, RS2, RS3, RT3.5, RT4, RM4.5, RM5, RM5.5, RM6, RM6.5, B1, B2, B3, C1, C2.

Permit or License

The City of Chicago requires a "Regulated Business License" in order to operate a short term rental. License application fee is $250 for each location for a two year term.

Short Term rental / Airbnb Regulations

For the most up-to-date information on short term rental regulations please click the links below to access the city website(s) and email address. Please notify us if there are any errors in the data.

View current vacation rental homes for sale or visit our resources section for help with products and services you need to run your vacation rental business.

Copyright © 2021 HIGHFLYRE